Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Is Sal Returning to Mad Men?

Like most Mad Men fans, I was really bummed when Salvatore Romano (Bryan Batt) was written off the show. The closeted character's exit - he was fired by Don Draper after rejecting the advances of an exec from Lucky Strike, one of Sterling Cooper's largest accounts - was unfortunately realistic, especially for the time. But many fans have been holding out hope that we would see Sal again, and it looks like that just might happen soon:
We asked for it in our photo flashback on the stars of Mad Men, and it looks like our wish may come true: TVguide.com is reporting that Bryan Batt will return to the hit AMC drama as closeted art director Salvatore Romano before the end of the current season. The Broadway vet joined his former castmates at the 2010 Emmy Awards, where he answered questions about a possible return with an enigmatic smile. Tight-lipped show creator Matthew Weiner said only, “Yes, Sal is alive. There’s hope, but you have to watch the show. You know I’m not going to say anything.” [Broadway.com via ONTD]
And from the original TVGuide.com piece:
By now I've learned that getting the super secretive Mad Men cast to confirm
29 August 2010 - Los Angeles, California - Bryan Batt. 62nd Annual Primetime Emmy Awards held at NOKIA Theatre L.A. LIVE. Photo Credit: Byron Purvis/AdMedia
anything is impossible. Even so, I'm feeling fairly confidant that before long we'll be seeing Bryan Batt back in '60s-era NYC as artistic director Salvatore Romano on the Emmy-winning AMC drama. Why am I feeling so positive? Well, in the past, every time I'd run in to Bryan and ask for an update on his status, he'd tell me quite sullenly that he's heard nada from anyone. Basically, he was getting on with his life. But at the Emmy Awards, Bryan was back with his cast and just seemed tickled — as if he knew something we didn't.

"A few months ago I got a call from the god of Mad Men [series creator Matthew Weiner]," Bryan told me. So what did Weiner say? "He told me Sal is not dead." That's all Bryan would say on the subject (which makes it sound as if the much-missed actor has been brought back under the cone of silence).

It's the most encouraging news we've heard since I broke news last year that Bryan had been dropped from the cast for storyline reasons.
So what do you think, Mad Men fans? Is Sal coming back? Do you want him to come back? What has he been up to? Is he still married to Kitty? Is it Sunday night yet?

No comments: